Now available in a lavish Blu-ray special edition from Arrow Video, the 1946 classic Black Angel has never looked or sounded better.
This complex film noir effort based on Cornell Woolrich‘s novel stars Dan Duryea as Martin Blair, an alcoholic songwriter whose ex-wife, Mavis (Constance Dowling), is found murdered. When Mavis’ lover is tried and sentenced to death, the wrongly convicted man’s estranged wife (June Vincent) coaxes Blair, who was himself cleared of the crime, to help her search for the real killer. With Peter Lorre, Broderick Crawford.
Here’s a rundown of the Blu-ray special features:
• Brand new restoration from original film elements by Arrow Films
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM audio soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• New audio commentary by the writer and film scholar Alan K. Rode
• A Fitting End, a new video appreciation of the film by the film historian Neil Sinyard
• Original trailer
• Gallery of original stills and promotional materials
• Reversible sleeve featuring two artwork options
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by author Philip Kemp
And here is the film’s original theatrical trailer:
Black Angel is now available, waiting to add a noirish flair to your home movie library!